In the event that I feel like treating myself to a fancy beverage – an Aperol Spritz really does come up trumps. For one thing, I always have a bottle of Aperol stored in the pantry and sparkling mineral water is a staple in our household.
My poison of choice is liquid gold. I just love a glass (or six!) of beautiful Champagne. Unfortunately, as I have matured, so have my taste buds. As conceited as it may sound, a flute of regular sparkling wine just doesn’t cut it for me anymore – it has to be the good French stuff.
My lifestyle, however, does not afford warm, balmy afternoons spent on celebrity-owned super yachts sipping bottomless magnums of Veuve, Moet, Piper or Perrier-Jouet (incidentally, I have just decided these will be the names of my future pet goldfish).
My way around my French Champagne cravings is is an Aperol Spritz. On top of it being such a fun and festive drink, I love an Aperol Spritz for three reasons:
- It’s refreshing, tastes delicious and looks like sunshine in a glass- very impressive when entertaining guests.
- It’s a great way to breathe new life into leftover Champagne/Prosecco/sparkling wine. The sparkling water seems to bring the bubbles’ groove back and is also very effective in masking the crappy taste of a cheaper bottle of fizz.
- I am yet to experience an Aperol Spritz induced hangover – I put this down to the extra hydration from the sparkling water top up!
To make this fabulous sunset-coloured cocktail:
- Add some ice cubes to a balloon glass
- 3 parts Prosecco (this is traditional, but I do often substitute with whatever bubbles I have on hand)
- 2 parts Aperol
- 1 part sparkling water
- Garnish with orange slices
Mrs. Magic Pantry XO
Leave a Reply